Are you a newbie in the field of cultivating cannabis? A bit curious about how it works and what to do when an unfamiliar scenario happens to during growth? Well, need not to worry. We have got you covered. Not all are well-acquainted with pot seeds.
A seed is composed of two reproductive organs. One is male and the other is female. There are a variety of seeds sold in in-store and online seed banks. There is high-potency marijuana flowers, seedless and sinsemilla. The sprouting of seeds, also known as germination, is a process wherein the plant starts to develop from the seed. This is the so-called transformation from seed to plant. It proves that the flowering time has begun.
On an article that was written by Trevor Hennings of Leafly, he educated the growers about being mindful in choosing the seeds to grow. You have to be well-acquainted with its color, texture, and hardness for you to cultivate a healthy cannabis plant. He also stated that you should be aware of the condition of the seeds. Some may take time to sprout while some will sprout faster than expected.
When your seeds germinate
Marijuana growers usually germinate their seeds on paper towels. After drying it up a bit, they remove it from the paper towel and transplant the seeds into the soil. You can use either paper towel or coffee filter depending on your preference for it is the one that will absorb the moisture to avoid lints causing molds. The good thing about using coffee filters is that it works well in absorbing the moisture. The process of germination lasts for days up to a week. You can see progress when the moisture of the seed transplants itself to the paper towel or coffee filter.
You have to slightly damp the paper towel or coffee filter first before you place the seeds. After arranging the seeds, place it on a plate and cover it with another plate to maintain the humidity. Make sure that you keep the plate in a warm environment too and maintain the dampness of the paper towel or coffee filter. The moisture of the towel will help in softening the shell of the seed allowing the process of germination to proceed. As a whitetail pokes out from the surface of the shell opening it reaching about 0.25 inch, it is ready to be planted onto your preferred medium for cultivation.
Keep in mind to not keep the seedlings on the paper towel or coffee filter for too long. This causes it to be dormant and not edible to be planted anymore. Another factor that can make the seeds ineffective is if it gets exposed to cold temperatures. Not just it will cause the paper towel to be dried up, but it alleviates the chances of the tail popping out from the surface of the shell. The environmental factor is a huge part in the process of germination. Factors such as humidity, temperature, lighting, and skin contact affect its growth. It is better to do the process in a controlled environment and is best kept indoors too.
Why is it necessary to germinate your pot seeds before cultivation?
Germination is an important process to do before cultivation. The pot seeds’ moisture needs to be absorbed for days up to a week in order to avoid the growth of molds. Up until it sprouts you have to wait before you plant them in the soil. Seedlings need to be kept in a dark, dry and cool place for a period of time. This is actually a preferred process considering that it does not require much labor but time. Germination is actually a modern process already to keep up with the pace and the needs of growers and users. One of the most crucial parts of marijuana cultivation is germination. Sounds like it is difficult, right? It definitely is not. You just have to follow the step-by-step process to come up with satisfactory results.
What does germination require?
Like what we have mentioned earlier, you have to follow a step-by-step process and maintain environmental factors. Here are some factors that will help the process of germination.
* Peace – it may sound a bit weird, but yes, the seeds require peace. Being germinated in a stressful environment it slows down its growth affecting its effects when used. Plants are like people too.
* Moisture – the most applicable number of hours for your seeds to be soaked in water should be around 24 up to 32 hours. When it exceeds, there is a high probability that it will be impotent and or damaged. Keep the paper towel or coffee filter damped with water on a daily basis for days up to a week.
* Gentle – when handling the seeds, you should be careful. Keep in mind that the more it has contact with your skin, it stresses the seeds out. As much as possible, avoid touching the peeking roots because these are very sensitive and can easily be detached from the shell.
* Lighting – do not expose it to too much lighting and too much darkness. You have to adjust it as you can observe progress in germination.
* Temperature – the preferred temperature for germination is warm. It does not only maintain the moisture but it avoids the paper towel and or coffee filter to be dry. If germinated in a cooler temperature, the sprouting time tends to be longer than a week.
The process of germination is where your marijuana cultivation will be depending on. It is very essential considering that marijuana growth is very sensitive to its environmental conditions. Yes, you have to maintain and monitor on a daily basis requiring labor and time. But when you come to think of it, the results are worth it when you can already see progress on your cultivation. For both in-store and online seed banks, this is actually a great way to establish and develop your products. Being able to do the process on your own will gain you experience in marijuana’s cultivation.