Creating and producing marijuana concentrate requires extracting substances from cannabis plants. It is processed and only the most desirable plant compound, primarily the cannabinoids and terpenes are being used. The excess plant and other impurities are removed; making marijuana concentrates more potent than marijuana flowers alone. There are many different types of concentrates. Every year a new kind of concentrate is being introduced, making it hard for marijuana enthusiasts to keep up. Because of the versatility and health benefits of marijuana concentrate, many consumers begin to discover a different way to consume cannabis.
Many cannabis concentrates come in different textures and formats. There are non-active forms that need heating to experience the effects. There are also active cannabinoids that are infused in favorite edible, topicals and tincture to experience effect without the need for heat.
The oldest method of making concentrates is in the form of hashish or hash. It was found in the 8th and 6th century Assyrian text. During the early days, hashish would have started as kief. Kief is cannabis that is sifted to remove the trichome glands. It is then turned into keif by applying heat and pressure and pressed into balls or bricks. Hashish can be used by using vaporizers, smoke or by dabbing. These methods mentioned have fast-acting effects.
In the mid to late 19th century, during the time when western medicine adopted medical marijuana, cannabis tincture became prominent. Tinctures utilizes decarboxylated cannabis that is placed in a jar with alcohol. This mixture is stored for weeks, strained and can be of use after some time. Tinctures are taken orally. Using a medicine dropper, under the tongue. This method usually takes about 20-30 minutes to take effect.
Ways to Consume Cannabis Concentrates:
- THC Oil- an intoxicating oil popularly used for medical purposes. THC oil delivers a “high” and euphoric effect and may come in various forms. It is made with high concentration of THC that has a potential in treating glaucoma, insomnia, loss of appetite and muscle spasms.
- CBD Oil- this non-intoxicating product is used for various medical conditions. It is usually sold in capsule form or as tinctures. People typically use CBD Oil to help treat seizures, psychosis, depression, migraines and many more.
- Ingestible Oils- are oils you can add to food or drinks or can also be in capsule form. Cannabis oil can lose some of its potency in high temperature, this being said, it is suggested that marijuana extracts should be added to food and beverage after they are cooked and not during. This will reduce the exposure of cannabinoids to high heat.
- Vaporizer Cartridges- are similar to e-cigarettes but with cannabis. This is the most discreet and portable option in consuming cannabis concentrates. Vaping marijuana concentrates work by heating the extract to its point of vaporization, releasing loaded cannabinoid vapor that the consumer can inhale.
- Dabbing – is another way to consume cannabis concentrates. Dabbing is similar to vaporizing where it requires a heating element to cause its vaporization. This method is more popular among experienced cannabis users. It requires a set of custom hardware to start. You will need a torch similar to those uses for baking, a dab rig or water pipe. You will also need a surface that is heat resistant like ceramic nail or titanium.
- By adding to Marijuana Flowers, the potency of your favorite cannabis flower will get an extra boost from marijuana oil. Extract can be added on top of a pipe filled with dry smokable herbs. Be careful as it may flare up creating a flame.
If you want to experience a different way or if you feel bored consuming weeds in a traditional way, marijuana concentrates are worth the try. This is one proof that the world of cannabis is diverse and ever evolving. Thanks to the marijuana enthusiasts for continuously developing a variety of ways and forms of cannabis beneficial for both medical and recreational use.
If you are new and starting to explore marijuana concentrates, take time to learn about each type and the best way to consume them. Marijuana concentrates offer a unique benefit that is very different from smoking the flower. You are surely in for a more refined flavor and a smoke-free dose for a change.