Table of Contents
What Defines the Quality of MJ seeds?
So you’ve decided to grow your own cannabis plant from MJ seeds. Many people are now becoming interested in growing their own pot at home. Many dreams of having an endless supply of weed and the thought of maybe someday growing or breeding their own type of weed.
Apart from growing your own supply is the technique of maintaining the quality of your seeds. Chances are, you will be growing a lot of seeds, more than you can even use. How do you store these seeds to preserve its viability for months or years to come?
Things to Look out For
Possibly the true definition of quality in cannabis seeds is the ability of the seed to sprout. If the seed germinates after being kept for a very long time then it is top quality, viable seeds.
There are a few qualities of top quality cannabis seeds you must remember especially when you are buying seeds. And if you are growing seeds for your own consumption, understanding the different signs of a viable seed will help you choose the right seeds to cultivate for your next crops
- The appearance of the seeds – the seed should be round, have a dark color (black, dark brown, blue or purple) and may have unique markings like stripes, dots, and patches.
- Firmness or hardness of the seeds –the seed must be hard, should not open when pressed and should not have any holes, deep grooves, and slots.
- The heaviness of the seeds –– place your seeds in water. Check for those floating seeds and discard as they are empty inside. All seeds that sunk can be planted because these have heavy viable insides.
- General condition of the seeds – you will know the condition of the seeds by the looks of it. Check to see if there are dents or wholes. Make sure that there is no odor and free from pests.
A good quality Cannabis Seeds Starts from the Plant
It follows that healthy plants will produce good seeds. Starting with an MJ Seed, will lead you to a right path. Together with an ideal growing environment is a way to make your plants healthy.
- Providing the proper nutrients to keep the plants healthy will prepare it to grow seeds. The nutrition required for cannabis plants differs from stage to stage. In the growing phase, these plants need fertilizers with high nitrogen content. This will help the plant produce strong stems and large leaves. Similarly, when cannabis plant is in the flowering stage, it will need nutrients like phosphorous and potassium. This on the other hand, helps the plant to grow larger buds and healthy seeds.
- Closely monitor your plants. Check soil pH, temperature and humidity levels. Invest in a handy digital hygrometer and thermometer to take accurate readings.
- Humidity levels must be maintained to ensure the growing area is mold and mildew-free. Use a fan and open doors and windows to improve air pressure inside the growing area. Use a dehumidifier.
- Improve lighting because plants love and need light to grow. Use an LED lamp. This is the most efficient type of lighting that won’t cost too much power.
- Water your plants daily but only when the soil is dry and not when wet or moist.
- Watch out for pests most especially when growing outdoors. Exterminate by using naturally organic pesticides and other natural remedy.
Things to remember when Harvesting Marijuana MJ Seeds
After some time, your cannabis seeds will be ready for harvest. When the flowers are fertilized, the seeds will start to form within the next coming days. You will be surprised to be harvesting your seeds soon.
To harvest marijuana seeds, you need to prepare your plants. Same with harvesting flowers, you must avoid feeding your plants days before harvest time.
When the seed pods are slightly opening, this is the time to harvest your seeds. Use clean, disinfected hands to remove the seeds from the pods. This will be a sticky activity so if you want to avoid the sticky substance that envelopes the pods, wear gloves.
The seeds will be easy to pop out of the pods, Use a basket or a clean container lined with newspaper to carry the seeds.
Next, you need to dry and store your seeds to preserve its quality.
Techniques for Drying and Storing Cannabis Seeds
There are a lot of method in both drying and storing the seeds. This process is important to make sure that the seeds will last for a long time and avoid wastage. This technique will save the seeds until you are ready to plant them.
It is important to dry and cure the seeds after harvest. If these methods are overlooked, the seeds will never be able to germinate well. Collect your seeds in a basket or container.
By using a small pair of scissors, you can trim the seeds slightly to remove hairs and threads that are stuck. You will also need a humidor for drying. A humidor is a box type container where cannabis buds and seeds may be stored. You can also store your freshly rolled joints to maintain their flavors.
Place seeds inside the humidor for about 12 to 14 hours. This is the initial curing stage. Afterward, you will slow dry your seeds for a longer period.
When the relative humidity or RH is around 63% to 65% inside the humidor box, the buds will be ready to crush and the cover of mature seeds will now start to fall off. You can place seeds from different plants inside the humidor; just make sure to separate these in smaller plastic containers when you place these inside the humidor.
Growers agree that it will take a month for your seeds to be ready for planting. At this point, the seeds are properly cured and will have around 99.9% germination rate.
Where to Store your MJ Seeds?
The germination rate of a cannabis seed is affected by the way it is stored. Failing to store cannabis seeds properly will undermine the days you have spent drying and curing them.
Another way of storing the seeds for use in the future, is by freesing them. Use newspaper or plain plastic to keep your seeds inside the freezer. Put your seeds in a clean, clear sealable plastic bag. If you have a vacuum sealer then you can use this.
Wrap the plastic with a thick layer of newspaper and then place this inside a plastic bag again. Store the seeds in the deepest and darkest place inside your freezer.
To thaw your seeds, remove the pack from the freezer and then transfer this in a cool part of your refrigerator. After two to three hours, remove the package from the refrigerator and place the pack on the counter.
Never thaw your seeds inside the microwave oven or in a regular oven. Thaw this naturally to protect your seeds.
Other Ways to store Cannabis Seeds
Place the MJ seeds inside a jar such as a mason jar. This type of container helps retain the flavor, smell and the viability of seeds. To use a mason jar, pick a medium-sized jar. Fill this a few inches from the top. Never fill the jar completely with seeds because seeds found at the bottom may get crushed.
Place the jar of seeds in a dark and dry area. Make sure that the location of storage maintain a relative humidity to prevent molds and mildew. Also remember to keep your jar of seeds away from direct sunlight.
Remember the Following
- Don’t store seeds inside plastic bags under room temperature. Plastic bags and other plastic containers can reek chemicals that may only affect the flavor and smell of seeds.
- Never place seeds inside electrical appliances. The seeds may lose its viability because the appliance becomes hotter.
- Do not leave seeds inside your car and even inside the glove compartment. Your seeds may lose its viability when left inside a hot car for a longer period of time.