So you’ve decided to grow your own MJ seeds. This is a practical thing to do since it’s really too expensive to buy cannabis seeds. A lot of people are now becoming interested in growing their own pot at home. Many dreams of having an endless supply of weed at home and the thought of maybe someday growing or breeding their own type of weed.
Apart from growing your own supply of seeds is the technique of maintaining the quality of your seeds. Chances are, you will be growing a lot of seeds, more than you can even use. How do you store these seeds so these remain their viability for months or years to come?
What Defines the Quality of MJ seeds?
Possibly the true definition of quality in cannabis seeds is the ability of the seed to sprout. If the seed germinates after being kept for a very long time then it is top quality, viable seeds.
There are a few qualities of top quality cannabis seeds you must remember especially when you are buying seeds. And if you are growing seeds for your own consumption, understanding the different signs of a viable seed will help you choose the right seeds to cultivate as your next crops
- The appearance of the seeds – the seed should be round, have a dark color (black, dark brown, blue or purple) and may have unique markings like stripes, dots, and patches.
- Firmness or hardness of the seeds –the seed must be hard, should not open when pressed and should not have any holes, deep grooves, and slots.
- The heaviness of the seeds – place your seeds in water. Seeds that have sunk should be planted because these have heavy viable insides.
Seeds that float are seeds that don’t contain viable insides and therefore won’t sprout no matter how long it takes.
- Overall condition of the seeds – the seed should be unopened, with no dents and openings. There must be no smells or pests.
Maintaining Cannabis Seeds Quality Starts from the Plant
Healthy plants will grow good seeds. To keep your plants healthy, you should provide the ideal growing environment. There is an ideal growing environment, temperature, humidity levels and light requirements for every plant.
- Provide the best food and nutrition to keep these healthy and ready to grow seeds. Cannabis nutrition differs from stage to stage. During the growing phase, your plants need fertilizer mixes with high nitrogen content. Nitrogen will help grow large leaves, strong stems, and branches. Meanwhile, cannabis plants in the flowering stage need nutrients like phosphorous and potassium to grow larger buds and healthy seeds.
- Closely monitor your plants. Check soil pH, temperature and humidity levels. Invest in a handy digital hygrometer and thermometer to take accurate readings.
- Humidity levels must be maintained to ensure the growing area is mold and mildew-free. Use a fan and open doors and windows to improve air pressure inside the growing area. Use a dehumidifier.
- Improve lighting because plants love and need light to grow. Use an LED lamp. This is the most efficient type of lighting that won’t cost too much power.
- Water your plants daily but only when the soil is dry and not when wet or moist.
- Monitor pests whether you’re growing your marijuana plants indoors or outdoors. Deal with pests naturally using organic pesticides and natural means.
Healthy plants = healthy seeds. Keep this in mind. Your plants will never be able to grow viable seeds when it lacks the nutrients and the important factors that it needs for proper growth.
Important Tips when Harvesting Marijuana Seeds
Your cannabis seeds will soon be ready for harvest. From the time the flowers were fertilized, it will take just a few days for the seeds to form and then it won’t be long when the seeds are ready for harvest.
To harvest marijuana seeds, you need to prepare your plants. Just like harvesting flowers, you must avoid feeding your plants days before harvest time.
When the seed pods are slightly opening, this is the time to harvest your seeds. Use clean, disinfected hands to remove the seeds from the pods. This will be a sticky activity so if you want to avoid the sticky substance that envelopes the pods, wear gloves.
The seeds will be easy to pop out of the pods, Use a basket or a clean container lined with newspaper to carry the seeds.
Next, you need to dry and store your seeds to preserve its quality.
Drying and Storing Cannabis Seeds Techniques
There are different ways to dry and store your seeds. You need to make sure that the seeds are completely dried and stored in correct containers so that these will last for a long time, or until you want to use or plant them.
After harvesting your seeds, these should be dried and cured. If these methods are overlooked, the seeds will never be able to germinate well. Collect your seeds in a basket or container,
Use a small pair of scissors to trim the seeds slightly to remove hairs and threads. For the drying technique that we will describe here, you need a humidor. A humidor is a box where cannabis buds and seeds may be stored. This can also store freshly rolled joints and blunts to improve their flavors.
Place seeds inside the humidor for about 12 to 14 hours. This is the initial curing stage. Afterward, you will slow dry your seeds for a longer period.
After hours inside a humidor, place the seeds in a brown paper bag for 2 to 3 days. You need to wait this long because humidity levels decrease slowly. After 2 to 3 days, place the seeds back inside the humidor to continue drying it for 7 to 10 days.
When the relative humidity or RH is around 63% to 65% inside the humidor box, the buds will be ready to crush and the cover of mature seeds will now start to fall off. You can place seeds from different plants inside the humidor; just make sure to separate these in smaller plastic containers when you place these inside the humidor.
Growers agree that it will take a month for your seeds to be ready for planting. At this point, the seeds are properly cured and will have around 99.9% germination rate.
Where to Store Cannabis Seeds?
The way you store your cannabis seeds affect its germination rate. If you fail to store your seeds properly, you will waste the days that you spent drying and curing your seeds.
If you are planning to keep your seeds long term, the best way is to freeze your seeds. Use newspaper or plain plastic to keep your seeds inside the freezer. Place your seeds inside a clean, clear plastic bag. If you have a vacuum sealer then you can use this.
Wrap the plastic with a thick layer of newspaper and then place this inside a plastic bag again. Store the seeds in the deepest and darkest place inside your freezer.
To thaw your seeds, remove the pack from the freezer and then transfer this in a cool part of your refrigerator. After two to three hours, remove the package from the refrigerator and place the pack on the counter.
Never thaw your seeds inside the microwave oven or in a regular oven. Thaw this naturally to protect your seeds.
Other Ways to store Cannabis Seeds
Place the seeds inside a jar such as a mason jar. This type of container helps retain the flavor, smell and the viability of seeds. To use a mason jar, pick a medium-sized jar. Fill this a few inches from the top. Never fill the jar completely with seeds because seeds found at the bottom may get crushed.
After the seeds have been placed inside the jar, place this inside a dark area of your room like inside a cabinet or cupboard.
Maintain relative humidity inside the room where you store your seeds to ensure that these are mold or mildew free.
Keep the jars away from the sun or direct sunlight. As much as possible store these in a dark and dry space.
Remember the Following
- Don’t store seeds inside plastic bags under room temperature. Plastic bags and other plastic containers can reek chemicals that may only affect the flavor and smell of seeds.
- Never place seeds inside electrical appliances. The seeds may lose its viability because the appliance becomes hotter.
- Do not leave seeds inside your car and even inside the glove compartment. Your seeds may lose its viability when left inside a hot car for a longer period of time.
- Never leave your seeds and dried buds in unlocked containers and cabinets. Children and pets may access these containers and accidentally ingest the seeds and buds.
In case of accidental ingestion, do not panic. Take your child to a doctor for immediate care. Dogs may not fare well with cannabis and may suffer from seizures. If this happens, take your pet to the vet as soon as possible.