Storing cannabis seeds after curing and harvest is one of the crucial things that need to be done properly to preserve its freshness, potency, and natural characteristics of cannabis seeds. It is not always practical to use containers designed for storing cannabis because it’s pricey. If you can create your own storage container, then it is a perfect way to recycle and be innovative in helping the environment.
In doing your DIY storage, you can make use of recyclable things such as glass containers from your condiments or containers of food that have an airtight packaging. In recycling, it is important to make sure that these containers are completely sanitized before use to avoid any contaminants that affect your stored cannabis seeds. It is not advisable to use plastic-based containers, especially for long-term storage because plastics degrade over time by air, light, and temperature fluctuations.
Things to Consider in Doing DIY Storage
- Make sure that if you are recycling materials, it should be from a biodegradable material.
- Make sure that the materials to be used do not contain chemicals that may pose harm to cannabis seeds and consumers.
- In doing DIY storage, it is helpful to get materials that are naturally sourced.
Different Types of Cannabis Storages
- Dark Glass Airtight Container
This type of storage is recommended if you would store cannabis for later use. In using this type of storage, it is advisable to fully fill the container so as not to invite too much air.
2. Cannabis Humidor
This is a wooden, mahogany container that ensures the proper humidity level is maintained. It also provides you an aesthetically way of storing cannabis. Cannabis humidor and tobacco humidor are mistakenly considered as the same thing but they are totally different in terms of materials used. It is important to check whether or not you are using a humidor intended for cannabis to ensure that your cannabis will be stored properly.
3. Vacuum Sealing
This is a type of storage that is an excellent method if you want to preserve cannabis’s freshness. You’ll just have to place the properly cured and dried cannabis in a special plastic bag to be sealed in a vacuum-sealing machine, with this the air from the plastic is extracted.
4. Boveda Packs
This is a special kind of plastic that has salt and water to help absorb extra moisture that maintains the relative humidity in cannabis. This type of storage is advisable if you would only store the cannabis in a short period of time.
This type of storage goes perfectly with cannabis humidor and Boveda packs. It has a natural agent that maintains the humidity. CVault is the most advanced way of storing cannabis because it is lightweight and impenetrable to light.
6. Stainless Steel Type Storage
This is one of the storage options that most cannabis connoisseurs use because of its durability and its metal components do not interact with the natural substance of cannabis.
Tips in Storing Cannabis
- For a longer period of storing, the use of a or freezer is advisable to ensure that the freshness of the seeds is still fresh. If storing for a short period of time, placing it in cupboards and drawers would be good as long as it is placed in the right container.
- Avoid transferring cannabis seeds from the fridge or freezer to room temperature too often since cannabis seeds are sensitive to changing temperatures.
- When using a fridge/freezer, make sure that the seeds are placed in an airtight jar or zip lock to avoid the build-up of frost because if there is a frost build up the cannabis seed cell structure may be damaged.
- A good hygiene environment will prevent contamination and spread of plant diseases among your cannabis seed collection. A way of extending the life shelf of your cannabis seeds is to ensure that your seeds are away from water and humid environment.
- Even though your cannabis seeds are placed in an airtight and opaque container if it is exposed to sunlight then it may induce unhealthy germination. The humidity level increases rapidly if your container is exposed even with slight sunlight exposure.
- Humidity and temperature go hand in hand to ensure that cannabis seeds are stored safely. If the humidity and the temperature are at the optimum level then you can easily zero out moisture that makes your cannabis seeds wilted and active to fungi, molds, and pest infestations.
- Avoid touching the cannabis seeds because your hands may carry grease that contains bacteria that may potentially damage the seeds.
There are a lot of ways by which you can utilize your resources on how to store cannabis seeds, properly. Make sure that the way on how you DIY your storing cannabis seeds is safe for your cannabis seeds to ensure that you are sealing it’s natural properties until you use it.