Table of Contents
have their own way of protecting cannabis seeds to extend its shelf life. Proper seed storage preserves its viability for a long period of time. Seed banks are able to provide fresh and healthy seeds all the time. Even if they acquire the seeds for a long time, they are able to keep it fresh through consistent practices of storing. It promotes preservation not only of the main seed but with the preservation of its genes, characteristics and potency.
Seed Banks and Proper Storage
The cannabis seed in preservation state is in a rest mode, exposure to humidity may trigger germination because of the substances that are release. For long term storage, the humidity level inside the airtight container should not exceed 9%.
For storage for cannabis seeds, the temperature should be between 4-10 degrees Celsius. Light exposure is also not advisable because it may gradually increase the temperature in the seed container.
Mildew, mold and pest infestations
If the seeds are not stored properly, then there is a tendency that it will be exposed to changing temperatures with an increase in the temperature and humidity, this is the perfect environment for Mildew, mold and pest infestations.
It is best to keep you cannabis seeds in a dark place. It will enable the seeds to reach its dormancy and prevent premature germination.
Best Way to Store your Cannabis Seeds
- Seed banks use non-toxic packaging to prevent changes in its natural substance and maintain its freshness.
- Cannabis Seed Banks make sure that their store is always clean. Their staff practices good working hygiene and make sure that all equipment they are using in selling and handling cannabis seeds are clean and dry.
- It is important for them to record details such as the seed description, genetics, and other essential information that is helpful to the customers when cannabis seeds are displayed in the dispensary.
- They see to it that the shells of the seeds are intact through the use of proper storage containers because the seed’s outer covering is its natural defense against different harmful factors that might damage it. A crack or damage in the surface of the strain may lessen the longevity of the seed.
- They make use of desiccants or silicone gel inside the seed container or a vacuum pack. This will absorb the humidity and temperature, making it easier to control.
- If the cannabis seed has been stored for many years, they would usually let the seed proceed to the germination process so that the seeds are re-planted to collect new seeds for long term storage.
Seed Bank Tips In Storing Cannabis Seeds
- For a longer period of storing, the use of a fridge or freezer is advisable to ensure that the freshness of the seeds is intact. Unless it is to be kept for a short time, it is safe to place it in an air tight jar and keep in cupboards or drawers.
- Cannabis seeds are sensitive to temperature changes, thus transferring it from the freezer to a sudden room temperature will not be a good idea.
- When using the freezer storage method, make sure that you place the seeds in an airtight jar or zip lock bag to avoid frost build up. Frost or ice build up will damage the cell structure of the cannabis seeds and can destroy them.
- To prevent contamination and spread of plant diseases among your cannabis seeds, make sure that everything you use to store them is clean. Another way to extend the shelf life of your cannabis seeds is to ensure that seeds are away from wet and humid environment.
- Keep your seeds away from sun exposure as this may induce an unhealthy germination. It is also important to note that when your container has sunlight exposure, the humidity level increases rapidly.
- Take note that humidity and temperature are important factors to ensure proper storage of your cannabis seeds. When both are at the optimal level, you can quickly zero out the moisture. This cause the cannabis seeds to wilt and vulnerable to infestation of fungi, pests and molds.
- Stay clear from handling the cannabis seeds with your hands. Sometimes, hands may carry grease or dirt that contains bacteria which will damage the seeds.
Cannabis Seed Bank Storage
The healthier the cannabis seeds are, the longer time you can preserve it. Cannabis seeds degrade with time and lose its viability. Before that happens, cannabis seed bank finds ways on extending the life of cannabis seeds for future use. Following these tips in proper storage will make a great way of having a great reward.