Cannabis seed banks have their own way of protecting cannabis seeds for immediate and future use. Proper storage of these seeds makes is possible for it to be viable for a long period of time. Seed banks are able to provide fresh and healthy seeds even though they acquired the seeds for a long time because of consistent practices of storing that will promote preservation not only of the main seed but with the preservation of its genes, characteristics, and potency.
Factors To Consider In Storing Cannabis Seeds In Seed Banks
- Humidity level
The cannabis seed in the preservation state is in the rest mode if the seeds are exposed to humidity its nutritional substance is disrupted allowing it to release substances that will trigger germination. For long term storage, the humidity level inside the airtight container should not exceed 9%.
For satisfactory storage for cannabis seeds, the room temperature should be between 4-10 degrees Celsius so that the humidity level can be easily controlled. Light exposure is also not advisable because it may gradually increase the temperature in the seed container.
- Mildew, mold and pest infestations
If the seeds are not stored properly, then there is a tendency that it will be exposed to changing temperatures with an increase in the temperature and humidity, this is the perfect environment for Mildew, mold and pest infestations.
The optimum condition where the seeds should be stored is in a dark place to make help seeds enter its dormancy to avoid premature germination.
How Seed Banks Store Their Cannabis Seeds
- They pack their cannabis seeds with non-toxic packaging that will not promote changes in the natural substance of the cannabis product.
- They make sure that their store and their staff practices good working hygiene and they make sure that all equipment that is used in selling is clean and dry.
- They record details such as the seed description, genetics, and other essential information that is helpful to the customers when cannabis seeds are displayed in the dispensary.
- They make sure that the shells of the seeds are intact through the use of proper storage containers because the seed’s outer covering is its natural defense against different harmful factors that might damage it. A crack or damage in the surface of the strain may lessen the longevity of the seed.
- They make use of desiccants or silicone gel inside the seed container as a vacuum pack to ensure that the humidity and the temperature are absorbed and controlled easily without checking up on it on a daily basis.
- If the cannabis seed has been stored for many years, they would usually let the seed proceed to the germination process so that the seeds are re-planted to collect new seeds for long term storage.
Seed Bank Tips In Storing Cannabis Seeds
- For a longer period of storing, the use of a fridge or freezer is advisable to ensure that the freshness of the seeds is still fresh. If storing for a short period of time, placing it in cupboards and drawers would be good as long as it is placed in the right container.
- Avoid transferring cannabis seeds from the fridge or freezer to room temperature too often since cannabis seeds are sensitive to changing temperatures.
- When using a fridge/freezer, make sure that the seeds are placed in an airtight jar or zip lock to avoid build-up of frost because if there is a frost build up the cannabis seed cell structure may be damaged.
- A good hygiene environment will prevent contamination and spread of plant diseases among your cannabis seed collection. A way of extending the life shelf of your cannabis seeds is to ensure that your seeds are away from water and humid environment.
- Even though your cannabis seeds are placed in an airtight and opaque container if it is exposed to sunlight then it may induce unhealthy germination. The humidity level increases rapidly if your container is exposed even with slight sunlight exposure.
- Humidity and temperature go hand in hand to ensure that cannabis seeds are stored safely. If the humidity and the temperature are at the optimum level then you can easily zero out moisture that makes your cannabis seeds wilted and active to fungi, molds and pest infestations.
- Avoid touching the cannabis seeds because your hands may carry grease that contains bacteria that may potentially damage the seeds.
The healthier the cannabis seeds are the longer time you can preserve it. Cannabis seeds degrade with time and lose its viability before that happens, most cannabis seed bank finds ways on how to extend the life of cannabis seeds for future use and research. Following these tips in proper storage will make a great way of having a great reward.