Table of Contents
One of the most famous terms both inside and outside of the cannabis scene is “Kush”. Despite a person not being engaged in any particular cannabis activity, he may still have heard of the word “Kush” before. From rap songs, t-shirts, prints, Internet memes, and just about anything else, the term Kush has widely been used in connection to all things marijuana.
While many people have had their fair shares of explaining what it is, Kush actually may refer to different things altogether. As someone who is a part of the cannabis scene, it is only proper that we all have a firm grasp of what Kush really is.
What is Kush Strain?
Overview: While cannabis is often categorized based on Indica, Sativa, and Ruderalis species, this isn’t the only way to differentiate certain marijuana strains. Words and terms such as Haze, Gorilla, Skunk, and even Purple all refer to certain types of marijuana. Among these famous types of weed is, of course, the renowned Kush family. Kush refers to a cannabis indica variety that is well-known for both its potency and hard-hitting effects. This strain has played a major part in shaping the cannabis culture around the whole world, particularly in the United States.
Because it refers to an indica variety of weed, most of this strain will display indica-dominant characteristics. Of course, crossbreeding may lead to equal ratios of indica and Sativa in a Kush strain which further testifies to the innovation and technology available in the cannabis scene today.
Origins and Background: Kush was first believed to originate in the Hindu Kush mountain ranges of the Himalayan regions – thus, its name. Over the years, this particular premium marijuana strain had made quite a reputation for itself. Today, Kush is widely known as one of, if not the best type of landrace genetics available in the cannabis market. As such, it has led to the development of countless award-winning strains that many people enjoy throughout the globe. The oldest and the original landrace Kush strain is the Hindu Kush, one of the oldest strains to have been discovered by the modern era of cannabis (along with Afghani and Skunk).
Kush strains are particularly famous in the West Coast region of the United States. There, many Californian seed breeders have made countless uses of this strain in order to generate hybrids that display all sorts of effects and flavors. Despite the indica-dominance in most Kush strains, today’s cannabis market has seen a wide variety of Kush that contains mixed genotypes of indica and Sativa genetics. This is made possible through careful crossbreeding and paying close attention to the growing environments of such strains.
Typical Effects and Growing Conditions
Appearance and growth:
Because this strain was first discovered in rocky and mountainous regions, they are naturally durable and resilient strains that are capable of withstanding harsh terrains and extreme weather conditions. Much like any indica variety of cannabis, This strain also displays short and chunky plants with compact colas. The buds of certain strains are also known to be quite dense and heavy. One of the main things that stand out with regards to this strain is the robust aroma and fragrance that they give off. Even during the flowering period, growers are met with a sharp and stinging smell of diesel and skunkiness. The pungent aroma is enticing enough to get marijuana users excited about the harvests. One thing to remember is that most of this strain are hybrids. This means that the strong qualities of landrace genetics are slightly toned down in order to avoid anything too difficult or overwhelming. As such, this strain is rather easy to cultivate, making them a great first-time option for growers.
Common effects and flavors:
These strains are particularly known to be extremely potent. These heavy-hitters have gained a reputation for being parent strains to some of the strongest hybrids out there. As such, the richness and potency of this strain have allowed them to win numerous awards and recognitions. Because this strain is predominantly indica strains, this means that they are able to induce strong, heavy-bodied feelings that are often associated with couch-locking effects. One can expect a barrage of physical buzzes that help calm down the muscles of a person. This strain is often incorporated with Sativas to give a well-balanced mix of euphoria to go with the hard-hitting effects.
The usual flavors and aromas associated with this strain include earthiness, diesel, and Skunkiness mixed with sweet and floral notes of fruits and spice. It is easy to see why people have grown quite fond of this strain. The amazing effects coupled with the addicting flavors make for a great high.
Best Marijuana Kush Strains:
- OG Kush Marijuana Strain – Often regarded as the most famous marijuana strain to ever exist, the OG Kush is the real deal. With a genetic makeup that consists of some Hindu Kush and Chemdawg, the OG Kush is definitely a name you’ve heard of well outside the cannabis scene. Is has been named the Best Strain of All Time by numerous cannabis companies, which backs up all the hype that surrounds it. It carries a THC level that ranges from around 17% to a whopping 27%, making it a very versatile strain in terms of effects and flavor.
- Hindu Kush Marijuana Strain – As one of the oldest marijuana strains out there, Hindu Kush has frequently been used as a parent strain to some of the most famous hybrids out there including the iconic OG Kush. Because it is the first and original landrace strain that gave birth to the Kush family, Hindu Kush is well-respected across the whole cannabis industry. By itself, it carries a THC content of up to 15% to 20%. It is safe to say that this strain epitomized what every indica should be like.
- Purple Kush Marijuana Strain – Famous for its bright purple hues in its colas and buds, this strain is one of the most appealing and satisfying strains that you could possibly get your hands on. With a unique profile that sets it apart from the rest, the Purple Kush definitely deserved all the awards and reputation that has been set on its shoulders. This strain makes use of two of the best landrace strains which are the Hindu Kush and Purple Afghani. With parent strains like these, it is no wonder why so many people have grown fond of this particular hybrid.
- Skywalker OG Marijuana Strain – The heavy couch-locking effects associated with Skywalker OG will definitely bring you to a faraway planet. The strong effects of this strain will get users rethinking their decisions in life, often causing a very cerebral and disorienting high. Skywalker OG’s lab test has resulted in THC levels that can reach up to 30%. This is, without a doubt, one of the strongest and most potent strains in the Kush family.
- Bubba Kush Marijuana Strain – Bubba Kush is also one of the oldest and most iconic strains in the Kush family. Having been first developed over twenty years ago, this strain offers users a very classic twist in their cannabis experience. It boasts some very strong and hard-hitting effects which may be a little too overwhelming for beginner marijuana smokers. The THC content of Bubba Kush reaches up to 22%, which is a very respectable amount considering that it is part of the famed Kush family. This strain also uses the famous OG Kush as its parent strain, giving it the trademark strength that his type of weed is known for.
Kush is, without a doubt, a staple in each and every cannabis garden that you will run into. With the strong and sedating effects that it is known to induce, people who enjoy strong and heavy-hitting choices will definitely include these strains on their bucket lists. As one of the purest and most well-known landrace strains ever, Kush holds a particular degree of influence in the cannabis scene that will never go away. Whether it is used as a parent strain for new hybrids or by itself for the classic highs that people have grown to love, it is hard to see this strain going out of style any time soon.